Case Manager app
Chameleon Software is happy to announce the third version of our Case Manager app. This runs on mobile phones to provide a mobile version of Case Manager.
It's not just a web application running on a phone. Our new app triumphs over security, performance and usability challenges to deliver well-designed functions that are custom-designed for phones.
It all adds up to working more efficiently when you are on the road, as our introductory video shows:
The latest release has some powerful new features, including adding costs to the case.
It's convenient to use, requiring only a passcode rather than your user login details.
For more information see the separate learning site customised for the app, particularly these pages:
To run the Case Manager app there are two requirements:
- you have upgraded to at least Case Manager 5.2, see Software versions below
- your system is securely available to mobile phones, as described at Database availability below
Once these requirements are met, follow three simple steps to set up and run the app:
When you first log into the app it needs to connect to your Case Manager database. You will be asked for a Company ID:
To find your Company ID, use the information in the address for your web version of Case Manager:
There are different instructions depending on whether you are hosted by Chameleon Software or not.
The Company ID is the first part of the address.
- URL is demoservice.casemanager.biz
- Company ID is demoservice
The Company ID is the full address.
- URL is demoservice.casemanager.biz
- Company ID is demoservice.casemanager.biz
You may choose to add a
You can now access cases, case documents, case costs and case contact information in the app.
Note that you view the Case List with the Mobile View saved view applied to the list.
Sometimes you may find that your Case List appears empty the first time you log in:
This is because one or more filters have been set in Mobile View.
To resolve this issue:
- Login to your web version of Case Manager via a web browser on a PC or Mac.
- At the Case List select Configure case lists from the dropdown list of saved views.
- Select the Mobile View, clear all the filters in the Filters tab and click Save.
- Log out of the mobile app
- Log in to the app again
See Case List Criteria if further detail required.
You will now see that the view has not filtered out any of the cases you are entitled to see.
- iOS 10 or greater
- iPhone 5 or greater
- Marshmallow or greater (6.0+, API 23 or greater)
The latest version of the Case Manager software is version 6.1. Naturally the latest version of the mobile app is also version 6.1.
The Case Manager app consults with your Case Manager system in order to access and update your database.
So you need to upgrade your entire system to 6.1 in order to access the latest features of the app:
- Your Windows/web Case Manager software needs to be upgraded to version 6.1.
- You should also update your app to version 6.1 through the App store or Google Play Store, as appropriate.
You can see which version of the app you are using at the bottom of the Settings screen:
To run the Case Manager app your Case Manager database needs to be securely 'available' to your mobile phone.
The process of making it securely available differs depending on whether your Case Manager database:
- is hosted by Chameleon Software
- is hosted by you, or
- is only on a single computer.
If you are hosted by Chameleon Software, this has automatically been set up for you as part of the service. Simply go to Step 1 above to perform the setup steps.
If you are self-hosted, there are two possibilities:
- If you are already set up to access the web version of Case Manager, contact Support and ask them to make a small change in order to access the mobile API. Then go to Step 1 above to perform the setup steps.
- If you are not already set up to access the web version, contact Support to arrange access to the web version and to the app. This process takes longer to perform but does not involve your system being out of action at all. Finally go to Step 1 above to perform the setup steps.
If you run Case Manager from only a single computer, there is no simple way for your database to be made securely available to an app running on your phone.
The best solution would be to change how you run Case Manager and to have your system hosted by Chameleon Software.
You need to be aware of new security requirements if you use the Apple app and your system is not hosted by Chameleon Software. See Apple apps: new security requirements for details.