Understanding the grid
This page does not reflect the changes in the new web version yet.
Many operations in Case Manager begin by selecting the required record from a list. This will display the details of the selected record elsewhere on the screen.
We call such lists grids in Case Manager.
We have already seen the best example of a grid: the Case List. When you select a case in the Case List, the case details are displayed at the right hand side of the screen. The Case List is the main grid in the system.
There are a number of functions common to almost all grids, wherever they occur in the system.
A good understanding of their many, powerful functions helps you to work quickly and to dynamically organise the grid's information according to your needs.
These grid functions include:
- Add: create a new member of the list
- Duplicate this member of the list
- Delete this member of the list
- Save changes to this member of the list
- Print the list
- Export the list to Excel:
creates and downloadsan Excel document containing the information in the grid cells.
- Refresh the list with the latest information
- Filter the list
This enables you to use Excel’s Macros and to create ad hoc reports on your information.
Most of these options are fairly self-explanatory and are best seen in context.
The quick filter allows simple filtering based on the values in the grid columns.
- Click the grid filter icon to open a filter area at the top of each column.
- Click the column filter icon and select the kind of filter you want to use in this column.
- Enter text in the filter box.
As you type, those cases that match the filter specification are displayed in a dropdown list so that you can make a quick selection :
After you click anywhere else on the screen, the Case List will only shows the cases that match these filter specifications.
This feature allows you to collect the Case List into groups based on column values.
Drag and drop a column heading into the Group By bar to group the cases by that column type.
- The screenshot shows the result of dragging the Assign to - Name column heading.
- Click the triangle icon to view the cases nested under the value of that column heading.
To un-group the cases, drag and drop the column header back to the other column headers or simply click its x icon.
The Case List Criteria applies only to the Case List grid.
After you click the icon, a window displays with three tabs:
- The Filter tab provides filtering options based on case values which may not be displayed in the grid, such as employee assignments.
- The Columns tab specifies which case fields feature as columns in the grid. It is shown below. The fields available are nested in a tree structure in order to provide access to all case information. This makes the grid completely customisable.
- The Save tab enables you to save particular views of the Case List (columns and filters), so that you can come back later and apply them without having to reselect everything again.
The filters specified here are the 'master' set of filters. You can filter within their results using the grid filter described above.
The video demonstrates standard grid functions that apply to most grids in Case Manager.
It also shows the extra Grid functions at the 'master' grid, i.e. the Case List, using the Case List Criteria.
The video shows grids in the Windows version of Case Manager, however the concepts are the same.
Type Control-F to use your browser's own search tool to locate the search text anywhere it occurs in the current web page.