Lab - Working with a case
You need to add a new client to Case Manager. So you create a new case, add information about the client and then add details of the company paying the bill.
When you enter information in a tab it is automatically saved when you move to another tab or case. You can also manually save the information by clicking the Save button. Changes can be reversed by clicking the undo button.
During this course the emphasis is on the most intuitive process for learners. However, many things can be done in several ways. For example to view the Time Sheet you can click an icon, select View > Time Sheet at the main menu or use keyboard shortcut, Ctrl T. As you become more familiar with Case Manager you can follow your own preferences: clicking icons, selecting from menus or using keyboard shortcuts.
You can choose the client's name.
- Click the Add New Case button located in the Case List (top left hand side of screen).
- Type the client name in the Look for field and click Search to make sure that they are not already in the system.
- If they already exist, try another name. Once you have a unique name, click Next.
- A new contact with the role of client is automatically created using the name that you entered.
- Click Next to continue.
- Now you enter details about the case. Select the Category Workcover NSW - RTW Same Employer from the dropdown list. This category connects your case with many other system settings and lists.
- Click Finish to save the new case.
- Once saved, the Case List will automatically select your case and display it on the right hand side.
We will refer to this newly created case as your training case in the rest of the program
Set employment status
- Select your training case and click its Case Details tab.
- Locate the field Emp Status which indicates the client’s employment status.
- Using the dropdown list, select a new employment status, e.g. work trial.
Update case status
- In your training case and at its Case Details tab, locate the Status dropdown list which records the current status of the case.
- Select an appropriate status for your case, e.g. Assessment in progress.
Edit client contact details
- Select your training case and click its Contacts tab.
- Select your client from the list of contacts.
- In the Address field, add an address for your client.
- In the Contact section, add some contact details. Example details are provided below.
In this newly created case, we have only added a client so far. There would be other contacts in a more established case.
- Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 1: (02) 9988 3063
- Phone 2: (02) 9449 5318
- Fax: (02) 9449 1579
Add another contact
This time we are going to add a contact who already exists in the system to your training case. Wendy Donavan from Allianz will be the billing contact for your case.
- Select the newly created case and click its Contacts tab.
- Click the New Contact button .
- In the Look For field enter Allianz and click Search.
- Select the Sydney office, Ms Wendy Donovan from the search results and click Next >.
- Click the Roles dropdown list and select Bill To. This make Ms Donovan and her company the Bill To contact for this case.
- Locate the Service field and select Insurer.
- Finally, click the Finish button to add the new contact.
Edit the roles for a contact
One contact can play multiple roles in a case. Here the bill payer is also the referrer for the case, so this needs to be entered.
- In your training case and in its Contacts tab, locate the company with the role of Bill To and select it This should be Allianz which we added in the last exercise.
- Go to the Other Details section.
- Click the Roles dropdown list.
- Add the role of Referrer by ticking the box and then click the OK button.
Well done! You have added a new case and entered its most important information. We will return to your training case throughout the training. For now let's see what happens when there are multiple cases and you want to manage how you see them at the Case List.
Next: Understanding the grid