Lab - Invoices
The screenshots on this page do not all reflect the new web version yet.
You want to create invoices for your business and decide to try all the different tools: invoicing and payments at the Account tab; the Automatic Invoice Generator and the Invoice Batch Utility.
Create an invoice for your training case
- Select your training case from the Case List. You added costs to this case in a previous lab.
- Click the Account tab.
- Click the New button and select New Invoice.
- Explore the New Invoice window and update the Terms field to Strictly 14 Days by selecting from the dropdown list.
- Tick the Exclude box for half of the costs displayed so that they are not included in this invoice.
- Click Save.
You do not want to invoice all the costs here because you need some unbilled costs for another invoice in the next exercise.
You should see that the new invoice appears at the Account tab.
Create a batch of invoices
- Select Tools >Invoice Generator from the main menu.
- At the Summary of billed costs screen click Next.
- At the Invoice Criteria screen click the Next button.
- At the Review and Exclude Individual Invoices screen click Next.
- At the Invoice Details screen explore the options for the invoices you are generating. Change the Terms field to Strictly within 14 Days and change the Status to Draft (this is required for Exercise 4).
- Click Next again.
- Click OK to confirm that the Invoices will be generated in the next step.
- View the invoices that have been created
It is fine to generate every possible invoice, including those not assigned to us, because this is a training database.
You can click the Generate PDF with selected invoices hyperlink to download a PDF file of the invoices if required before clicking Next to close the utility.
Print outstanding invoices
- Select Tools > Invoice Batch Utilityfrom the main menu.
- The default setting is to process overdue Invoices. We will be doing this in the exercise so click Next.
- The default setting is that each filter (from Category to Teams) is set to All. All check boxes below these should be clear. Click Next.
- The screen displays the invoices identified by this search. There can very well be hundreds of invoices so reduce the number to about five invoices by clicking the Exclude check box for most invoices.
- Click Next.
- Leave the Print Invoices option selected the Batch Action page and click Finish. The targeted invoices will appear in a print preview window.
Delete the invoices you created at Exercise 2
- Select Tools > Invoice Batch Utility from the main menu.
- Select Invoice generator batch and select the batch you created in Exercise 2 from the dropdown list. This should be at the top of the list.
- Click Next, Next and Next again. This will bring you to the Batch Action page.
- Select Delete invoices and click Finish.
- As this is an irreversible action, you will be required to authenticate the action by typing delete into the box and clicking Proceed with delete.
You just permanently deleted the entire batch of invoices that you generated in Exercise 2. Note that this was only possible because they were Draft invoices, not Finalised invoices.
Allocate a $200 payment from an Allianz cheque
- Select your training case from the Case List.
- Click the Account tab.
- Click the New button and click New Payment from the dropdown list.
- The Payment screen will appear.
- Enter the payment amount as $2000.00.
- Tick the boxes beside invoices to allocate the payment. Ticking a box allocates as much as possible to that invoice. Try allocating the funds across several cases by manually entering how much to distribute to each invoice.
- Click Save.
At Exercise 5 in Lab - Working with a case you set the Bill To for your case to Ms Wendy Donovan from Allianz. Thus, Allianz will be selected as the payer at the Payment screen. Almost certainly Allianz will have several outstanding invoices, not just your case's invoices.
You have inserted a payment transaction for all the invoices you selected, which may be from multiple cases.
At each case any remaining unpaid amounts for invoices is totalled and displayed in the footer of the Accounts tab.
In the Tools menu, select Search.
- Click the Invoice Search tab.
- Expand the Advanced Search field area and enter All Dates for the date range.
- In the Invoice field enter the value of 5.
- Click the Search button. Click and view the results.
- Click Close when completed.
So now you can create invoices using several methods and also add payments for them. You created the information contained in the invoices so the next step is to understand how invoices are designed and printed.